23 Feb Uplizna
What is Uplizna?
NMOSD is a rare autoimmune disease that can cause blindness and paralysis in the extremities if left untreated. In those suffering with NMSOD, the body attacks healthy tissues in the central nervous system (CNS) which results in damage to the optic nerve and spinal cord.
This damage to these vital components of the CMS are the result of anti-AQP4 attacking the myelin sheath, nerve cells, and astrocytes, know known as Aquaporin-4 (AQP4). AQP4 are cells that play a crucial role in ensuring the CNS works properly, and when attacked, results in inflammation that prevents neurons from communicating messages from the brain and spinal cord. Then neurons are unable to communicate with each other, is results in a variety of depilating symptoms and the creation and progression of disability.
Uplizna works by calming the body’s overreactive immune response through lowering the level of B cells in a patient’s body, which is thought to prevent anti-AQP4 from attacking healthy tissues.
What does Uplizna treat?
- Neuromyelitis optica spectrum disorder (NMOSD) who are anti-aquaporin-4 (anti-AQP4)
- Urinary tract infection
- Joint pain
- Increased risk of infection
- Infusion reaction
Click here for additional side effects
6 months after first two doses of every 2 weeks.
What to Expect During Your Infusion
Before your infusion, it is important to drink plenty of water and come to your appointment hydrated. Additionally, you must alert us as soon as possible to any changes in your insurance to ensure that we are still an in-network provider for your infusion therapy.
- Your dedicated Infusion nurse will check your vitals and review your medical history to check for improvements or potential side effects of your infusion therapy.
- Your nurse will begin your infusion and check in on you periodically during your treatment.
- After your infusion, your nurse will monitor you for 30 minutes to ensure you do not have any complications or reactions to the infusion therapy.
Why patients choose Pure to receive their Uplizna infusion:
Safe & Private Suites
- Comfortable, private rooms with a relaxing, spa-like atmosphere
- 55” TVs with Netflix, Wifi, drinks, snacks, meals & more
Expert Medical Staff
- Certified FNPs & infusion nurses on-site
- Insurance pre-authorizations & re-authorizations
- Patient lab work
- Co-Pay assistance & other financial aid programs
- Flexible scheduling
- Easy & convenient parking