15 Feb Crysvita
What is Crysvita?
Crysvita (burosumab-twza) treats a rare disease called x-linked hypophosphatemia (XLH) with excess fibroblast growth factor 23 (FGF23). XLH is an genetic disorder of the PHEX gene on the X chromosome, where the kidneys dispose of too much phosphorus, causing levels to be too low in the bloodstream. FGF23 suppresses phosphate reabsorption so even if phosphorus is present, the body can’t utilize it.
Phosphorus is crucial for bodily functions, particularly the growth of bones. When phosphorous is wasted by the kidneys and disposed of in the urine without being reabsorbed, levels become very low, causing soft, weak bones. This leads to conditions like osteomalacia, osteoarthritis, and phosphopenic rickets.
Patients that are suffering from XLH can develop permanent disabilities and sustain injuries from their illness including bowed legs, severe bone, or dental pain, and shortened bone growth, hearing loss, bone fractures, and loss of mobility.
Crysvita is an antibody that blocks FGF23, so that the body can absorb and utilize phosphorus. It is given as a subcutaneous injection and has been shown to improve joint stiffness in these patients.
What does Crysvita treat?
- X-linked hypophosphatemia (XLH)
- Injection site reaction
Click here for additional side effects
What to Expect During Your Injection
Before your injection, it is important to drink plenty of water and come to your appointment hydrated. Additionally, you must alert us as soon as possible to any changes in your insurance to ensure that we are still an in-network provider for your infusion therapy.
- Your dedicated Infusion nurse will check your vitals and review your medical history to check for improvements or potential side effects of your injection therapy.
- Your nurse will begin your injection and check in on you periodically during your treatment.
- After your infusion, your nurse will monitor you for 30 minutes to ensure you do not have any complications or reactions to the infusion therapy.
Why patients choose Pure to receive their Crysvita injection
Safe & Private Suites
- Comfortable, private rooms with a relaxing, spa-like atmosphere
- 55” TVs with Netflix, Wifi, drinks, snacks, meals & more
Expert Medical Staff
- Certified FNPs & infusion nurses on-site
- Insurance pre-authorizations & re-authorizations
- Patient lab work
- Co-Pay assistance & other financial aid programs
- Flexible scheduling
- Easy & convenient parking