Section 1557 is the nondiscrimination provision of the Affordable Care Act (ACA). The law prohibits discrimination on the basis of race, color, national origin, sex, age, or disability in certain health programs or activities. Section 1557 builds on several long-standing and familiar Federal civil rights laws. Section 1557 extends nondiscrimination protections to individuals participating in:
- Any health program or activity which receives funding from HHS
- Any health program or activity that HHS itself administers
- Health Insurance Marketplaces and all plans offered by issuers that participate in those Marketplaces.
Based on the information above, Pure Infusion Suites and its affiliates are considered a “covered entity” that is required to abide by the requirements of Section 1557.
- On May 13, 2016, the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services (HHS) Office for Civil Rights issued a final rule implementing Section 1557 including specific requirements for covered entities that receive federal financial assistance from HHS. Some examples of federal financial assistance include Medicare payments, Medicaid payments, and participation in the Health Insurance Marketplaces.
- For more information about Section 1557 of the Affordable Care Act please visit the HHS Office for Civil Rights website.